Friday, January 30, 2009

Canon Rock!

So you know how to play guitar... Do you know Canon Rock? Can you play it? Those are the questions that follows whenever a youtube member learned that you know how to play guitar.



This video was uploaded in youtube.com December of 2005 and has viewed 55,127,773 times now. FunTwo (the one playing the guitar) performs the Canon Rock. The original canon rock was arranged by a very young professional guitarist named JerryC (you can visit him at www.jerryc.tw). Although I've heard Yngwie Malmsteen's Canon in D version before, Jerry C's has become the popular one. Canon Rock was a rearrangement of the very beautiful classical masterpiece of Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D. It was so solemn that most of the time, it is used as a wedding march sound for the entourage. Jerry C's arrangement was so brilliant, it was very amazing. Since then, JerryC's arrangement of Canon Rock becomes the great challenge if not the gauge for a guitar player. A lot of times when somebody discovered that I know how to play guitar, they immediately ask me if I know how to play the Canon Rock. So I answered them, "Not yet...".

A lot of guitar geeks around the globe has uploaded their cover version of JerryC's Canon Rock. As a guitar player, I was amazed by each of them. All of them are great and plays Canon Rock with their electric guitar very nice. My favorites are FunTwo's and Cesar Huesca's cover. After I've watched their video in 2007, there's a spark inside me wanting to play that Canon Rock piece. Hopefully, someday I will have the chance to upload my own cover of JerryC's canon rock.

Here are some of the Canon Rock videos from youtube.com uploaded by impeto.



Here's the original Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel from Imeem.com.

Pachelbel Canon in D [original version] - Divertimento

3 comments:

  1. have you seen the canon rock 2? that's nice also! check out also trace bundy's canon acoustic version in youtube.. visit my site at http://shimanoy.blogspot.com you'll see some of my favorite guitar artists! tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to see your video where you play your own guitar !!! NOW !!! hehehe nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @punky, a lot of canon rock version has been played, but if you are referring to the version of mattrach's canon rock 2... yes, I have seen that. He's very good, steve vai influenced guitar player.

    @cher, not now, I need to practice more. Besides, I don't have my amp and effects yet. Maybe in some future time, don't worry, I'll keep you posted he he. Thanks sis!

    ReplyDelete